Monday, February 7, 2011

In Memory of Snickers...

It's a sad day today.  I awoke and my eyes were already watering!  I knew what had to be done - and I didn't want her to struggle any more.  She was declining more and more by the hour.  For the life of me - I don't even know how she stayed alive as long as she did!

She did manage to jump off my bed and I found her in my closet.  I think she wanted a private place to die.  I am soo glad it wasn't under my bed!

We tried to bring her icecream....her favorite!  And feed her with our fingers, but she turned her nose and wouldn't have anything to do with us. 

As I put her in her carrier to take her to the vet - she growled at me!  I think she knew it was the end!

It was a simple procedure.  The people there was so sympathetic. 
They brought me a bottle of water and tissues!  I prayed for the Lord to give me strength....so I wouldn't fall all apart!  Shew!  Tough day for sure!

The first injection was the anesthesia to put her to sleep!  She just got really sleepy!  But by this time - she was very weak...and her heart barely beat....along with her breathing.  Poor Snick.  I rocked and cradled her like a baby! 

When the vet came in about 5 or so minutes after the first injection she was pretty much out of it.  He then inserted the last injection - and within 2 seconds - she was gone.  Very painless.....at least for her.

I wrapped her up in the soft blanket that I had just for her, and put her in the box that I buried her in.

When I got home - I proceeded to finish the outer wrapping and taped up all the sides. 

Soon after the guy at the Garden Center came over and began to dig the hole for the tree I was going to plant.  I think Snick would have like sitting under that weeping willow....I can almost see her now.

Before we knew it - the hole was dug, the tree was planted - and Snick was now beneath the ground.  My heart hurts today.....I have a sad loneliness....that my buddy isn't here.  I almost started talking to her - like I always do.....but she's no longer here!

Within a few moments of Tommy leaving - it began to snow very very hard!  BEAUTIFULLY LARGE flakes of snow and it's still snowing and covering the ground in record speed!  It's so beautiful! 

Now the remant reminders of Snick still lingers....and I'm still in the process of washing, cleaning and packing up.

Poor Snickers!  My poor Snickers.  I will miss her very much!  She comforted me at night - and was my bed buddy - all snuggled up against me....and at my feet!  I wonder how long it will take for me to stop reaching for her - only to realize that she is no longer here.

Sleep Snick.....I told her she was taking a long winter's nap ....
                                                                                                ...and now
it's
sooo
      q u i e t . . .

No comments: