Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Preying Mantis Dilemma...


Ok....this little fella really scared me!!!  I found him a nice color of brown to match my dresser....actually ON MY DRESSER!!!








As scared as I was to try to catch this guy.....or gal...(I didn't get too close...and even if I did - I wouldn't have known the gender anyway!), I knew that I HAD


 to catch it and get it OUT of my house! 

I could NEVER have gone to sleep in that room again - if I knew it was lose in my bedroom!

Sooo....after failed attempts to recruit a neighbor's help - I found a pitcher and moved the dresser from the wall - and caught him.....jiggled him to the bottom of the pitcher...and put the lid on top!  I walked him out the door over to our mulched area on the side of the yard!  WHEW!!!  I had goose-bumps trying to work through this dilemma!  Scared the life out of me!!!

1 comment:

RichFam said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Oh, how I wish I had been there to witness that! :o)

A few years ago, we were able to witness a nest of them hatch in a jar. THOUSANDS of them (teensy tiny) came crawling out of it, and we took them to a nature preserve and released them. It was a neat experience... and I wasn't as creeped out by them as I thought I would be! (of course, they were tiny little babies, and not the giant mama or papa you saw!) :o)