Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We have an odd little bird! A killdeer!!!

While doing yard work the other day - Steve stumbled across a nest with 4 eggs in it.  The odd part was that the nest was in the grass behind our house - not in a tree.  After posting pictures - a friend found the type of bird we had. 
A killdeer!  After doing a google search on the type of bird - and finding some videos on youtube - I began to laugh!  Only because - they DO pretend to be hurt so that you will follow them - and in the process they try to lure you away from their nest. 

I can't wait until the eggs hatch!  Now....to find my zoom lense!  I need to get some pictures of this little soon-to-be family!
I had no idea of their habits....but they are quite a comical little bird - but very devoted to their young.  While the mother roosts by day - the male will roost at night.  I sure hope the turtles from the ponds out back don't come to eat the eggs before they're hatched!
I found them to be quite interesting little birds....and am soo excited that God has brought them to our back yard for our enjoyment!!!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killdeer

No comments: